Tuesday, October 18, 2011

From The "So Where Do You Get Your Ideas" Dept.


So Patricia and I are driving down Eastern Parkway on our way to a sale.  I have no idea what was on sale or why we absolutely had to have this particular item.    Most of my married life seems to be going to sales for some reason.  I dunno.  Patricia’s justification for buying anything is four simple words; “But it’s on sale.”  I’ve learned to just smile sweetly and go along for the ride.

On this particular day we’re listening to WINS 1010 the premier all-news radio station here in New York and a story comes on the radio that strikes me as utterly bizarre:  A New York judge ruled on a lawsuit brought against Al-Qaeda by insurance companies for damages to property and businesses in the 9/11 attacks.  Al-Qaeda never responded to the lawsuit (big surprise) and was ruled to be in default.  So this judge rules that A-Qaeda owes $9.3 billion.  You can’t make this stuff up.  If you don’t believe me, check it out.

I honestly don’t know whether to be outraged by what I perceive to be a colossal waste of time and taxpayer money or laugh myself into a hernia.  I say to Patricia; “Don’t they have to be served with a subpoena or something?  How do you serve papers on a terrorist organization?  And how do you collect the money?  These are guys who get up in the morning, punch a clock then go on out to kill people and blow up shit.  Does this judge really believe they give a cuss about paying damages?  And who do you get to serve the papers anyway?”

Patricia continues to turn the pages of her newspaper while replying quietly; “That sounds like it would make a good Dillon story, don’t you think?”

Once I finished the ranting and raving, I realized that she might have something there.  I already have a terrorist organization named Crimson Fist that has been mentioned in “Dillon and The Legend of The Golden Bell” where an incident is mentioned where Dillon prevented them from detonating a nuclear bomb in New York.  And in “Dillon and The Judas Chalice” he deactivates an EMP bomb they’ve set to detonate in Denbrook.   So I’ve got my terrorist organization.  And this story needs some lawyers and I’ve been looking for the opportunity to introduce Dillon’s lawyers; Dolly and David Zimmerman and their partner, the five-foot tall, Angela Davis afro-wearing Henry ‘Fuzzy’ Fraley.

So far I’ve got about 7000 words of notes for the story.  I have no idea yet as to how I’m going to do the big band dance sequence or the parkour chase sequence in prose but what’s life without challenges, right?  I’ll let you know when I come up with a title.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe can represent the Crimson Fist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then they're screwed right from jump.

    ReplyDelete